BOOK MACHINE (Sydney) II
VOLUME 2017 will also see the return of the popular Book Machine, taking place from 10 – 15 October.
Organised by onestar press, Paris and powered by Artspace, BOOK MACHINE (Sydney) II will team up public participants of all backgrounds and experience with emerging designers from Sydney’s best art and design schools to create their own publications. Over 200 artist books will be generated over the course of the free five-day public program.
EMERGING GRAPHIC DESIGNERS FOR BOOK MACHINE (Sydney) II
BOOK MACHINE, an initiative of onestar press, Paris is returning to Artspace, Sydney for VOLUME 2017 | Another Art Book Fair!
BOOK MACHINE connects emerging graphic designers and public participants through the creation of one-off artist books. This is a unique opportunity to work with an esteemed international press to realise the key public program of VOLUME 2017 | Another Art Book Fair, which will bring together over 70 national and international exhibitors over a weekend in October. We are seeking creative and friendly volunteers who enjoy working collaboratively to realise the design and production of artist books. Twenty designers are required for each of the 3.5–hour BOOK MACHINE sessions between Tuesday 10 and Sunday 15 October — you may work at as many or as few sessions as you’d like.
You’ll be paired with a public participant for each session. Participants will arrive prepared with images and text which you’ll help them shape into a book using a pre-designed 100–page book template. Designers will be offered a complimentary copy of each collaborative book — which you’ll receive the day after each session! That means you could add as many as nine books to your personal collection and portfolio.
BOOK MACHINE (Sydney) II session times:
- Tuesday 10 October 10.00am – 1.30pm
- Tuesday 10 October 2.30pm – 6.00pm
- Wednesday 11 October 10.00am – 1.30pm
- Wednesday 11 October 2.30pm – 6.00pm
- Thursday 12 October 10.00am – 1.30pm
- Thursday 12 October 2.30pm – 6.00pm
- Friday 13 October 10.00am – 1.30pm
- Friday 13 October 2.30pm – 6.00pm
- Saturday 14 October 10.00am – 1.30pm
- Saturday 14 October 2.30pm – 6.00pm
- Sunday 15 October 10.00am – 1.30pm
- We ask that designers commit to a minimum of three sessions in order to get the most out of the experience, and to ease the administrative requirements for the Designer Coordinator, who is also a volunteer
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign
- Your own laptop with InDesign 5 or higher
- A love of books and design!
Need more info? View the guidelines here.